It is a busy time right now for
us in CSC148, with exercise three and assignment two due soon, as well as the
second midterm coming up. Luckily, I was able to race past the first two
recently, added the finishing touch to assignment two part two just this
afternoon, giving me a cushion to review the various types of tree structure.
First of all I would like to note
about this week’s lab session, which had the tedious tasks of creating the same
function in four different ways. Although stressful at time, it was a great
learning experience. After nine weeks in the course, I am very comfortable with
thinking and programming recursively, so the first three parts was a breeze
once I have gotten the right idea. For the last part, me and my partner Brian were
stuck on it for quite a while, when we realized that we only had 10 minutes
left in the lab, he hinted me with an ingenious idea that can be considered as
thinking well outside the box. The brief solution can be seen from Brian’s slog
here: http://my148slog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/brians-csc148-slog-9.html
This lab also gave us an
opportunity to practice with these wrapper functions. I am still not completely
comfortable with the concept of a wrapper function at the moment, but I definitely
have a greater understanding of it. A fellow classmate also mentioned this on
his slog (http://compscislog.wordpress.com/)
where he noted that it helps to make calls less prone to error. This I noticed
in the lab when calling from _BSTNode and _BSTNone which was convenient at
times with self.left and self.right in these wrapper functions but not in the
original BST module.
I was able to finish the
assignment 2 part 2 today after a considerable amount of theory-crafting along
with trial and error. Piazza was very useful in the completion of this as well
as other students were able to give me important hints in the breaking up of a
function into smaller problems. It was definitely a great challenge, even
though I felt more at ease with this assignment than the first, possibly just
because I am more adapt at solving these recursive problems now. Anyway, this
is a great week for me in terms of accomplishment; I’ll be back next week with
a full report on assignment two.
No comments:
Post a Comment